Whether you're a foodie, a business owner, or just someone curious about the trends in the food delivery industry, you'll love these juicy statistics.
From the most popular cuisines to the busiest delivery times, we've compiled a list of mouthwatering facts and figures to make you appreciate the convenience and diversity of food delivery services in 2023.
So sit back, grab a snack, and prepare to be amazed by these fascinating insights.
How Many People Use Food Delivery Services?
Hungry for some knowledge? Let's dish out some fun facts about food delivery services and explore just how many people are ordering in.
1. Over three billion people worldwide used an online food delivery service in 2022. That's a huge number of people who are relying on technology to bring their meals right to their doorsteps. (source: Statista)
2. Of the bunch, 1.2 billion folks went for grocery delivery platforms, while 1.8 billion opted for meal delivery services.
3. The online food delivery market in the US was valued at a whopping $26.1 billion in 2022. That's a lot of pepperoni pizzas and chicken nuggets! (Source: imarc)
4. Worldwide revenue for the food delivery market is set to grow at an average rate of 12.33% per year between 2023 and 2027. If that continues, the market volume should hit a mind-boggling $1.45 trillion by 2027. (Source: Statista)
What Demographics Use Food Delivery Services the Most?
Do you ever wonder who's really behind the surge of food delivery services?
While it may seem everyone uses them, specific demographics are more likely to order in than others.
Get ready to discover some surprising insights about who's fueling the food delivery revolution!
5. Did you know that Millennials and Gen Z are big foodies? It's true! After groceries, dining out is the second-highest monthly spending category for both generations. (Source: YPulse)
6. In 2021, more than half (53%) of survey participants - and 64% of millennials - said that food delivery and takeout are “essential” to their way of life. (Source: QSR Magazine)
7. 86% of Americans have become pretty comfortable with the idea of ordering in when they're not in the mood for cooking or dressing up to go out. (Source: Gloria Food)
8. City folks love their food delivery apps more than their suburban and rural counterparts! According to the data, a whopping 31% of city dwellers use food delivery services at least once a month, compared to 22% in the suburbs and a measly 21% in rural areas. (Source: Civic Science)
What Kinds of Cuisine Are Most Popular?
Food delivery services have changed the way we experience cuisine, making it easier than ever to satisfy our cravings from the comfort of our own homes.
But with so many options to choose from, which types of cuisine are the most popular among food delivery customers?
9. Would you like fries with that? Most Americans say yes! It’s the most popular menu item ordered, followed by burritos/burrito bowls, chicken nuggets/sandwiches, hashbrowns, and cheeseburgers. (Source: DoorDash)
10. According to the same DoorDash report, American food rocks the top spot, with Mexican, Japanese, Italian, and Chinese trailing behind.
What Matters Most to Customers?
Certain factors can make or break a customer's experience in the competitive world of food delivery services.
Here are the top considerations that consumers take into account when choosing a food delivery service:
11. Food delivery services need to upgrade their warming bags because 17% of people get a chilly reception from their cold food. (Source: US Foods)
12. Some restaurants need a lesson in reading comprehension - 12% of food delivery customers in the same US Foods survey say their notes and requests are being ignored.
13. When it comes to ordering from a delivery partner, the speed of delivery is a huge deal. In fact, 60% of customers say that delivery speed is the most significant factor they consider when deciding who to order from. So, if you're in the delivery game, you better step on it. (Source: McKinsey & Company)
14. 58% of folks out there think it's super important to choose a restaurant for delivery based on whether they're offering a promo or discount. It just goes to show how much we all love a good deal. (Source: Nation’s Restaurant News)
15. 85% of consumers want restaurants to use tamper-evident labels to prevent delivery drivers from snacking on their takeout orders. (Source: US Food)
What About Meal Kits?
Meal kits have been a game-changer in the food industry, offering consumers a convenient and affordable way to prepare fresh, healthy meals at home.
So, how do meal kits fit into the world of food delivery?
Let’s dive into fascinating subscription food delivery service statistics behind the rise of meal kits as a go-to option for busy and health-conscious consumers.
16. The global revenue for meal kit services is projected to reach over $17 billion by 2023 and surpass $25 million by 2027. People are really into the idea of having fresh, pre-portioned ingredients delivered straight to their door. (Source: Statista)
17. That market share comprises the roughly 17% of Americans who have jumped on the meal kit delivery bandwagon at some point.
18. Even more impressive is that 90% of those subscribers recommend it to others. That's some serious word-of-mouth advertising.
19. 81% of customers believe that meal kits delivered to their door are a healthier option compared to takeout food. It's fantastic that people recognize the benefits of cooking at home with fresh ingredients. (Source: USA Today)
What Platforms Are Customers Ordering From?
It's no secret that food delivery apps have taken the restaurant scene by storm, and we're here for it!
With the convenience of ordering your favorite meals straight to your doorstep, who wouldn't be excited? But let's remember that these apps create some challenges for restaurants. It's important to remember that restaurants want to provide you with the best experience possible, and sometimes, that can be difficult with third-party apps in the mix.
From Uber Eats to Grubhub, DoorDash to Postmates, you’ll discover which platforms dominate the convenient cuisine game with these online food delivery statistics.
20. 87% of people say that third-party delivery apps make their life easier. Can you blame them? With just a few swipes, you can get your grub on without leaving the couch. (Source: Omni Experience)
21. 43% of restaurant professionals feel that third-party apps get in the way of the direct relationship between a restaurant and its customers. However, they can also provide a valuable service for reaching new customers and increasing revenue. (Source: Hospitality Tech)
22. On average, people have not one but two delivery apps on their phones! And get this: they use them about three times per month. (Source: US Foods)
23. DoorDash comes out on top with a staggering 59% market share. (Source: Statista)
24. Nearly half of all restaurant deliveries are made through Doordash - about 45%! That's a lot of food delivered by those trusty little dashers. (Source: JP Morgan)
25. UberEats ranks second-best at 24% and claims the title of Miami's most-beloved food delivery service. (Source: Statista)
26. A study revealed an interesting trend among customers: A whopping two-thirds prefer using a restaurant's mobile ordering platform rather than relying on a third-party service to support their favorite food joints. Source: Square)
Well, folks, that wraps up our list of 26 scrumptious food delivery statistics for 2023!
The future of food delivery is looking pretty exciting. So, keep those taste buds ready and stay tuned for more delicious updates.