Are you ever at a loss as to what to dip pizza rolls in? It might not seem like a big issue to some, but for those who love their pizza rolls and want to enjoy them as much as possible, finding the right dip is vital, and it’s not as easy as it might seem.
Of course, with pizza rolls being such a popular snack, perhaps you think you already know all there is to know about them, including what to dip pizza rolls in, but it could be that there’s a new, exciting culinary adventure waiting just around the corner… so let’s take a look at sauces for pizza rolls and you might find something wonderful to enjoy.
The Art of Sauce Pairing
Pizza rolls are clearly fabulous things, but – and this might sound impossible, but it is indeed true – that deliciousness can be enhanced with the right sauce. So, just what is it that makes the right sauce, and why do those sauces pair so well with pizza rolls?
It all comes down to consistency, flavor balance, and ingredients.
- Consistency: You’ll want a thicker consistency for dipping pizza rolls so you can be sure it’s going to coat the food and not make them soggy, which wouldn’t be all that pleasant. A thin sauce is going to be messy but too thick, and the flavors could overpower the rolls, so it has to be just right.
- Flavor balance: The sauce has to strike the perfect balance between sweet, acidic, and savory, and if you can get all those things right, it won’t matter what the pizza rolls are like; they’re going to be hugely enhanced with your sauce. The flavors essentially need to complement the flavor of the dough, the fillings, and the toppings, and they mustn’t dominate but work in tandem instead.
- Ingredients: Quality ingredients are crucial when you’re looking for a great dipping sauce for pizza rolls. Try to use fresh ingredients where you can, as that really does make a difference.
Top 5 Sauces for Pizza Rolls
Making your own dip for pizza rolls is the best way to ensure the sauce tastes exactly how you want it to, plus it gives you a real sense of accomplishment when you taste those great flavors pairing so well together. If you’re looking for some unique pizza roll sauce recipes, look no further; we’ve got five fantastic one for you to try.
1. Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
This honey mustard dipping sauce is ideal for pizza rolls because the sweetness and heat contrast brilliantly with the savory dough and fresh herbs. You’ll get all the flavors one one bite.
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp hot sauce (you can add more or less, depending on your preference)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Take all the ingredients, put them in a bowl, and mix them together – that’s it! Taste as you mix, and you can decide how much hot sauce to add; it’s better to start with less and add more, as you can’t take it out once it’s in!
2. Cheese and Sour Cream Sauce
A creamy dip and tomato-based pizza rolls? They’re a match made in heaven!
- 16oz sour cream (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 x green onions (sliced)
- ½ cup cooked bacon (chopped) – you can leave this out if you prefer
- Stir the sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and shredded cheese together in a bowl. Garnish with green onions.
- If you want to try the bacon version, add that in with the other ingredients, or separate half the mixture and add it to just one half, so you – and any guests you might have – will have a choice when it comes to their dipping options.
3. Sweet BBQ Sauce
The idea behind this particular sauce was that it was originally a topping for a chicken pizza, but it quickly became obvious that it could be a sauce all by itself – and it definitely works!
- 1 ¼ cups ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in one pan and cook for 4-5 minutes over a medium heat. You’ll want it to thicken to the consistency that works for you, but remember it’ll keep thickening as it cools down, so take it off the heat before it gets to where you want it.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little more water or pineapple juice to thin it down.
- If you’ve got a lot left over, seal it in an airtight jar, and it’ll last in the fridge for about two weeks – perfect for the next time you enjoy pizza rolls!
4. Avocado Ranch Dip
If you’re looking for something fresh, tasty, and perhaps even healthy to dip your pizza rolls in, this avocado ranch dip ticks all the boxes.
- 2 x avocados
- The juice from one lemon
- ½ cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the avocados and remove the pit. Mash with a fork until it’s in small chunks.
- Pop the avocados and all the other ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth.
- If you want to make the dip thinner (because it will be fairly thick at this point), just add more coconut milk until it’s exactly how you want it.
5. Marinara Dipping Sauce
You really can’t go wrong with a traditional marinara sauce, and this warming, hearty recipe is one you’ll come back to time and again.
- 1 x can of chopped tomatoes (15oz)
- 2 x cloves of garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan and stir over a medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to the boil for 10 minutes.
Homemade vs. Store-Bought Sauces
The sauces we’ve listed above are all homemade ones, and of course, you can just pick up a jar of something from the store if you prefer. With that in mind, here are some pros and cons to making your own sauce or buying it ready-made so you can choose what works for you.
Pros of Homemade Sauce
- Quality Control
When you make sauces at home, you’ve got complete control over the quality of the ingredients, how fresh they are, and even whether you want to avoid preservatives and additives.
Another thing to bear in mind is that if you make your own pizza roll dipping sauce, you can customize it as much as you want or need to – tailor the flavors to your liking.
There’s nothing better than fresh dipping sauce that’s literally just been made – it tastes far better than something that’s been sitting in a jar for weeks.
When you make your own sauce, you can pick healthy ingredients or alternatives to make it with, meaning you can control your diet and still enjoy tasty food.
Cons of Homemade Sauce
Even though the sauces we mentioned above are quick to make, they still take a lot more time than opening a jar of store-bought dipping sauce.
- Equipment Needed
In some cases, you’ll need some specific pieces of equipment, like a blender, and not everyone has these in the kitchen, especially if they don’t usually do much cooking.
- Shelf Life
Homemade sauces don’t usually have a long shelf life compared to commercial ones (although that could be a good thing – it means there aren’t any preservatives used).
Pros of Store-Bought Sauces
The best thing about buying readymade dipping sauce from the store is that it’s convenient – no mess, no time needed, and it’s ready to use.
If there were just one type of store-bought pizza roll dipping sauce, it would be boring and potentially problematic, but there are loads to choose from, so there’s sure to be something that fits the bill and your particular preferences.
Cons of Store-Bought Sauces
We’ve mentioned additives and preservatives a few times, and that’s because they’re a real issue when it comes to store-brought sauces – making your own, and they won’t be included at all.
- No Sense of Achievement
Opening up a jar of sauce won’t give you the same sense of achievement and pride as making your own would.
Tips for Customizing Store-Bought Sauces
If you’ve bought your pizza roll dipping sauce, there are some great ways to customize it if you want to make it your own.
- Add Fresh Ingredients
You can enhance the flavor of the sauce (and you’ll be enhancing pizza roll flavor too) by adding fresh herbs, garlic, or citrus, for example.
- Adjust Spices
You can add some more spices to the mix (literally) – just make sure you taste as you go along.
- Add Some Texture
Sometimes, the texture of store-bought sauces can be boring; add some ingredients like chunky vegetables to change things up.
Healthier Sauce Alternatives
If you want to reduce the salt and lower the number of calories in your pizza roll dipping sauce, there are a few things you can do.
- Greek Yogurt
Instead of ranch dressing or creamy cheeses, why not use Greek yogurt instead? It’ll give you the consistency and great flavor you want but in a healthier way.
- Salsa Verde
Tomatoes play a huge role in pizza rolls and the best dips for them, but you can opt for a salsa verde instead of marinara sauce for a healthier option.
Hummus is simple (you can easily make it or buy it) and healthy, so it could be an ideal alternative to a lot of other pizza roll dip options.
Preparing the Perfect Dipping Experience
You’ve made the sauce, you’re ready to enjoy pizza rolls, but how are you going to present it all? Like this:
- Party Platters
One great way to serve pizza rolls and dipping sauce is on party platters. Place the pizza rolls around the sauces so everyone knows they can dive right in.
- Choose The Right Vessel
Something that can really make things fun is choosing the right vessel for the sauce. You could use bowls, shot glasses, mason jars, or even hollowed-out bell peppers, for example.
- Interactive Dipping Stations
Set up an interactive dipping station where everyone can mix and match sauces in whatever way they want to – have some disposable spoons on hand so people can try the sauces before they commit!
Pizza roll dipping sauces are delicious and fun, and as long as you think about the flavors ahead of time, you’ll have a wide range of options to choose from, including plenty of healthy alternatives.
What are some quick and easy sauces for pizza rolls?
You can try ranch, hummus, marinara sauce, and any of the delicious ideas we’ve listed above.
Can I make these sauces in advance and store them?
In most cases, yes – you’ll need to store them in the fridge in airtight containers.
Are there vegan or gluten-free sauce options for pizza rolls?
There are lots of different options when it comes to the best pizza roll sauces, so no matter what dietary restrictions you might have, there’s sure to be a sauce that works for you.