Caregivers for senior citizens or Seniors, this meal service is for you.
Mom’s Meals promises fully prepared, refrigerated meals delivered straight to your home — a promise that can be a gamechanger in the lives of many older Americans who don’t have the time or energy to prepare their own meals anymore. Mom’s Meals are also perfect for those who are recuperating from surgery or an illness. (Read to learn more.)
Mom’s Meals was founded when Barb Anderson and her co-founder realized that there were plenty of families like their own who were struggling to find a way to keep their elderly parents happy and independent (read about the top rated prepared meal delivery services for elderly).
“We wanted to provide our own parents with the same fully-prepared, delicious, comforting meals they used to make for us, plus use some of their favorite recipes on our menu,” writes Anderson on the Mom’s Meals website.
Several Mom’s Meals plans are covered by Medicaid and insurance, so you should definitely investigate whether this is an option for you or the seniors in your life.
How Mom’s Meals Works
Here’s how Mom’s Meals works: The customer is in complete control of what is in their meal package because they pick all of their meals off of the menu themselves.
The meals are then delivered to your door and are good in your refrigerator for the next 14 days. (You can then freeze anything that you don’t eat in that time period.)
The company makes it easy to find out if a certain meal is low-sodium, diabetes-friendly or heart healthy.
Mom’s Meals offers the following plans
- Long Term Services and Support/Home and Community Based Services Program: Those eligible for Medicaid Waiver or other government funded nutrition programs can get these Mom’s Meals delivered to your home. Check with a local social services agency to see if this works for you.
- Chronic Care: Those with chronic health conditions can find cooking and shopping stressful. The Chronic Care program takes care of all of that for you while also creating meals that are right for your body and medical condition.
- Post-Discharge Care: These meals are for a patient recovering from surgery or illness and are designed to be compatible with your system and needs.
- Self-Pay: These are the meals that aren’t covered by insurance that you can order and pay for yourself. You have the option of receiving 7, 10, 14 or 21 meals at a time.
What You Can Expect From Your Meal
Simplicity is at the heart of Mom’s Meals. That’s why your meals never have to be thawed after being taken out of the refrigerator. All meals will be completely heated in 2 minutes or less.
Because Mom’s Meals are refrigerated and not frozen, they last about fourteen days. Any meals you don’t eat in that time can be frozen and placed in your freezer. Simply thaw and heat them when you are ready.
In addition to meals that fall under the company’s General Wellness plan, Mom’s Meals also offers the following specialty diets.
- Cancer Support
- Lower Sodium
The Mom’s Meals menu contains options for breakfast, lunch and dinner, so you can have every meal of the day covered.
There is no contract or commitment and it is easy to skip a week or change your order.
The chef behind Mom’s Meals is committed to creating dishes that are healthy, nourishing and easy to heat.
Those with diabetes can eat Mom’s Meals dishes and know they’re keeping glucose and insulin levels balanced. That’s why the company is a top pick of case workers and healthcare organizations in addition to being a favorite of seniors and their grown children and caregivers. Read our review of our top rated meal delivery services for diabetics.
Here are some of the dishes from the Mom’s Meals menu:
- Breakfast dishes include options like Biscuit with Pork Sausage Gravy and Cinnamon French Toast Sticks with Chipotle Berry Sauce & Turkey Sausage.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup and Spiced Blueberry Apple Crisp and Beef Goulash & Seasoned Vegetables are among the lunch entrees.
- As for dinner, the menu includes items along the lines of Grilled Chicken Breast with Orange Wild Rice Salad & Spiced Fruit Medley and a Roasted Pork Loin with Apple Cranberry Sauce over White Rice & Mixed Vegetables.
Mom’s Meals delivers to the 48 contiguous states. Depending on your location, your Mom’s Meals package will either be delivered by one of the company’s own delivery trucks or a third party carrier like FedEx.
Shipping is not included if you participate in the Self-Pay program.
For the plans not covered by insurance or Medicare, Mom’s Meals are $6.99 per meal (or $7.99 for a Pureed meal).
- For 7 meals a week, you will be charged $48.93.
- For 10 meals a week, you will be charged $69.90
- For 14 meals a week, you will be charged $97.86
- For 21 meals a week, you will be charged $146.79
Food for Thought
Because Mom’s Meals is a Medicaid senior delivery service, all of the meals have to be affordable and it the company is particularly great because it consistently wins contests stating that it is among the best-tasting plans out there for seniors.
Many seniors on fixed incomes or tight budgets will find Mom’s Meals pricing structure easy to adapt to (especially compared to other meal plans geared towards older diners out there.)
Mom’s Meals is also a great option for new moms as they get accustomed to parenthood in the days and weeks immediately after bringing their child home from the hospital. It is easy to gift a Mom’s Meals subscription to the families and seniors in your life, though customers should note that they company does not provide any discounts at this time.
We also liked that a three meal trial order is available for customers interested in trying out the service to see if it is a good fit.
How to Order
Ordering from Mom’s Meals is simple. First, head here and select the number of meals you’d like to receive and which plan you’re signing up for. You’ll then be asked if you’d like your meals selected for you or if you’re picking your meals individually.
New customers then must create a user login so that you can login to your account in the future.
Once you’ve gotten your login settled, you’ll be prompted for your shipping and payment information. You’re meals will then soon be on their way.