Medifast’s company mission is simple: it is a diet plan developed by doctors that encourages weight loss in a healthy way.
Over the years, the Medifast diet has developed a reputation for being a safe way for customers to lose weight quickly.
Because the team behind Medifast has a medical background, all Medifast food promise to get you the protein you need to maintain a lean muscle mass.
How Medifast Works
So what is Medifast?
The Medifast philosophy revolves around eating smaller portions every few hours rather than three large meals a day.
This means that you’ll be eating every 2-3 hours six times a day.
You’re probably now wondering how it’s possible to eat six meals a day and still lose weight.
The pounds will begin to shed because each meal is carefully balanced with the right number of calories and a balanced amount of nutrients and protein.
While five of your six meals a day will be from the Medifast line of products, one can be of your own creation (as long as you adhere to the nutritional guidelines).
Because your body is running on a lower number of calories than it is used to with the Medifast diet, it will quickly start going into “fat-burning” mode. This means that your body will start shedding fat immediately.
The Medifast dieting plan has three distinct stages:
The first is the weight loss stage, when customers begin losing weight rather rapidly. According to Medifast, customers typically lose 2-5 pounds a week during the first two weeks on the plan.
The second phase is the transition phase, which lasts six weeks and involves the customer getting used to their new caloric intake level. The company says you’ll usually lose 1-2 pounds a week during this time.
The third phase is the “maintenance phase,” which is lifelong. Once you’ve reached your goal weight, you’ll receive new guidelines that will ensure that you continue to maintain your ideal body weight.
But customers shouldn’t worry about their Medifast meals being repetitive or boring.
The company’s menu is quite extensive, allowing you to choose from 65 different items while also having the flexibility to create meals that are green and suit your tastes. The Medifast lean and green options have quickly become a popular choice among customers.
Medifast offers the following plans:
- Medifast Flex: A flexible plan that focuses on steady weight loss.
- Medifast Achieve: The focus here is on Medifast products that can easily be eaten on-the-go.
- Medifast GO: A month long plan that contains 30 full days of meals that are designed to help you lose fat.
Medifast gluten free meals and snacks are also available and customers can even order a 30 day meal plan of gluten-free favorites to get started on their diet.
What You Can Expect From Your Meal
While Medifast is perhaps best known in pop culture for its Medifast shakes, the company has grown a lot since its founding almost 40 years ago.
Today, in addition to protein shakes and Medifast bars, the company offers a variety of Medifast meals that are low-fat, high-protein and have a carefully regulated amount of carbs.
The current menu contains Medifast products that range from breakfast cereal to macaroni and cheese.
Medifast works because it is based on calorie restriction. This means that you’ll just be taking in 800-1000 calories a day during the weightloss portion of the plan.
This is a severe jump for most people and your body may need some time to adapt accordingly.
- Strawberry Shake: One of the most popular items on the Medifast shake menu, the strawberry shake tastes like sweet treat. (Luckily it’s also packed with protein and serves as a meal replacement.)
- Tomato Basil Bisque: This creamy soup is perfect for a cool winter evening or whenever you’d like a nice filling bowl of soup.
- Ziti Marinara: This pasta dish proves that being on a strict diet plan doesn’t mean that you have to give up rich tasting foods or flavor. While Medifast’s ziti dish is technically a ‘meal replacement’ according to the company’s menu, you’ll feel as if you’ve had a nice meal after eating it.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes: We loved that these mashed potatoes tasted so rich that we didn’t miss the tons of butter that usually top most recipes. (Click to read more about other delicious dishes.)
Your order will be shipped 2-7 days after your it is processed. Customers who are part of the Medifast Advantage program whose orders are over $250 will receive free shipping. Otherwise orders between $150 and $299.99 will have a $5 flat shipping rate applied to their purchase.
The cost of your Medifast products will depend on the plan you choose.
- Medifast Flex is $396 per month (and $299 with the first month discount)
- Medifast Achieve is $460 a month (and $399 with the first month discount.)
- Medifast GO is $429 a month (and $329 with the first month discount.)
It is also possible to order Medifast products a la carte. Shakes are $19.50 for a box of seven drinks and entrees are also $19.50 for 7 servings.
Food for Thought
As you can tell from all of the above, the Medifast meal plan is a very restricted diet that works because it helps your body adapt to a very low calorie diet until you reach your target weight. Because of that, it’s recommended that you consult your doctor before starting the program to make sure that it is right for you.
When followed correctly, Medifast results are instantly apparent in just a few weeks.
It’s also important to note that Medifast is intended for customers who are considered obese (this is another reason you should check with your doctor before starting.)
Additionally, because Medifast requires quite a bit of discipline (you have to eat every 2-3 hours and the meal you prepare yourself has to follow the plan’s guidelines) it is not for people who are fans of cheat days or who need a little more leeway to stick to a plan.
But for those who stick to the plan, the results are noticeable within a month.
How to Order
Ordering your Medifast products is simple.
After you pick the plan that works best, simply click the “Order Now” button.
You’ll immediately qualify for Medifast’s new customer discount. Simply hit the “new customer” button to create a user login. The next prompt will lead you to enter your shipping and payment information.
Once you’ve looked over your order information and signed off on them, your journey to a healthier approach to food will begin in a matter of days.
Want to read more about Medifast? Read our review of our favorite senior prepared meal delivery services.