Is the state of modern bread getting you down? Us too because it seems like most supermarket loaves are either cheap cardboard, over-processed, expensive, or packed with high-fructose corn syrup.
Bread and circuses for the masses indeed.
What we want in a loaf is whole grain goodness, the real kind, not just marketing speak. Enter Angelic Bakehouse, a company dedicated to keeping bread comforting, delicious, healthy, and sustainable.
But do Angelic's loaves taste any good and how many stars does the bakery's service deserve? We decided to find out, read on for our full Angelic Bakehouse review.
Angelic Bakehouse At A Glance
- Best Match For: Vegans looking for healthy non-GMO bread, wraps, crisps, buns, and pizza crusts made from sprouted grains.
- Commitment Level: Subscription with deliveries every 7, 14, 30, 60, or 90 days; One-time orders
- Availability: Delivery available everywhere in the US.
- Value: $2.99-$6.99/item; Free shipping for orders over $30; FedEx shipping costs for orders under $30
- Type: Ready-to-eat baked goods and snacks
How Does Angelic Bakehouse Work?
Angelic Bakehouse is an online bakery. While the company does sell some of its products in stores, the majority of its trade is carried out online. Besides Angelic's own website, other sellers include Amazon.
When you make an order, Angelic gets to work and ships your delicious baked goods from its factory to your home.
On the company's website, you can shop by dietary needs or by category, fill your cart with bread, buns, pizza crust, and more, then kick back and wait for your delivery.
Angelic Bakehouse Shipping
Good news for lovers of craft carbs, Angelic Bakehouse offers shipping all over the country. The online store also ships to Hawaii and Alaska. Orders are send via FedEx and generally arrive swiftly. Your delivery fees are free if you order $30 or more worth of goods (with the exception of HI and AK), so it makes sense to stock up and freeze what you don't immediately need.
Angelic's website states that it aims to ship products the day after you make an order but it can take a maximum of three days before your sprouted grain bread and other items are en route to your delivery address.
There is also an option to subscribe and save, so you can get your Angelic Bakehouse sprouted bread orders delivered regularly and for a better price.
What Makes Angelic Bakehouse Special?
Angelic is dedicated to quality whole grain wheat flour, none of the "enriched" stuff most standard bread brands use.
It also focuses on sprouted grains for better flavor, more fiber, and increased nutritional benefits such as higher levels of antioxidants and vitamin B.
As you can imagine, going to the trouble of sprouting grains before using them in bread makes the breadmaking process more complex, but it's worth it for the added health benefits and the unique flavor.
In addition, Angelic Bakehouse has a social conscience, you can donate a loaf through the "Loaf You" program and the store will send bread to those in need.
What's on the Angelic Bakehouse Menu?
Plenty of delicious and nutritious baked foods, specifically:
Each of these products come in a variety of flavors but retain the Angelic Bakehouse signature flavor. In the bread category, for example, you can sample the rye or the raisin wheat bread. Our personal favorite is the sprouted seven-grain bread. One slice of this stuff really fills you up and keeps you feeling full.
Specific dietary needs are also catered to, rather impressively Angelic Bakehouse has options for:
Low-carbers take note: although items aren't labelled as low-carb, many are. Because Angelic foods are higher in fiber than most other bread brands, the net carbohydrate count is low.
The product info for Angelic's raisin bread, for example, notes that one slice contains just 12 grams net carbs.
And if you'd like to check out the product info for each item, just click through and you can see fat, sugar, carbs, and ingredients.
We love that Angelic Bakehouse has thought of so many different customer needs. We're even more enamored with the store because flavor hasn't been sacrificed in the diet-specific products — that's true dedication to the ways of the grain.
Angelic Bakehouse Costs
You can expect to pay $2.99-$6.99 per item. In addition, if your order of baked goods totals $30 or over, you receive free shipping.
Pros & Cons
- The store ships fast so you get your tasty grain-forward items sooner
- Angelic receives fantastic reviews almost unanimously
- Many items cater to specific dietary needs, such as low-salt and keto diet
- Plenty of fiber in all items for better gut health
- Ability to make an account and organise a regular subscription for your favorite orders
- Shipping is free for orders over $30
- The website features recipe ideas
- Add a "Loaf You" to your orders from the store and help those in need
- Ingredients are always premium
- Happiness guarantee; if you don't enjoy your items, you can send them back and receive a full refund of the purchase price
- The online store has excellent functionality; you won't struggle to navigate the website, make an account, or place your order
- View all the ingredients and macros before making a purchase
- Angelic's foods are way too delicious and nutritious to not try
- It would be great to see Angelic in a physical store, but as ordering online is easy and shipping is fast, we can't complain too much
- Not as many products for the keto diet
Food for Thought
Overall, we give Angelic Bakehouse a solid five stars. Not only does this stuff taste amazing, it's also good for your body.
Each grain the store uses is sprouted for extra nutrition, resulting in a bread that is filling and leaves you sated for hours.
Nothing can stop us chowing down on the seven-grain loaf, a masterpiece of bread art that tastes like a warm hug.
Furthermore, shipping is quick, the online store is easy to use, product info is readily found, and the company has a clear social conscience.
Tell your friends because this sprouted grain bakery is one for your little black foodie book.